“AI is likely to be either the best or worst thing to happen to Humanity,” said Sir Stephen Hawking.
To better answer this question, let us first understand AI.
What is AI?
SIRI, ALEXA, Tesla, cogito are well-known masterpiece of AI.
AI imply artificial intelligence, it refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to think like humans and mimic their actions.
It is a branch of computer science that is concerned with the study and creation of computer systems that exhibit some form of intelligence:
• System that can describe the reason and draw a conclusion about the world around us.
• System that adapts new concepts and jobs.
• System that performs other types of feats that require a human type of intelligence and many more.
AI is not an imaginary future it is here and now, many movies whether Bollywood or Hollywood had attempted to introduce the concept of AI as human-like robots that take over the world, the current evolution of AI technologies isn’t that scary.
• Email Filters to Smart Replies
• LinkedIn, Pinterest, Chatbots to Facebook Proactive Detection
• Google Predictive Searches to Google’s Algorithm
• Product Recommendations, Music Recommendations to Maps and Directions
• Mobile Banking, Ride-sharing Apps to Financial Institutions Fraud Prevention everything is functioning smoothly because of AI.
And AI will change the functionality of all the enterprise in future.
But is it never going to be perilous?
The answer to this is NO,
Late Stephen Hawking has predicted that “future developments in AI “could spell the end of the human race.”
Many of the researchers have a dread, AI may progressively displace human skills and increase unemployment.
Apart from this AI work on opaque algorithms and decisions through these are not always reliable, This is because AI might not be able to account for all of the hidden costs, rewards, and risks.
For instance, consider the example of one of the well-known inventions of AI “SOPHIA” a humanoid robot, was ready to kill humans when asked, “do you want to destroy humans?” in an interview with David Hanson.
Another such example is, autonomous weapons that are programmed to kill if acquired by the wrong person it can cause mass casualties.
This is because all the AI applications work on self-learning and learning with experience and data if it learns something which is not in our goal set it may lead to a major loss to humanity.
Such an example illustrates that advanced AI isn’t malevolence but competence.
So, one can culminate that AI is a Friend and can accomplish the goals with proficiency but if those goals aren’t aligned with ours, AI can be a Foe.